Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Dice junkies

I know we're all addicted to dice and can never have enough. Although I certainly lean toward steampunk gaming most of the time, I do still play the occasional sci-fi game. And for that, I need sci-fi dice. 

I backed a Kickstarter from a company called AKO Dice, and after a rigorous production period ensuring the dice are true, the rewards came in and they are gorgeous

Rather than pips, the number rolled is indicated by lines of varying direction and length. 

I chose the brushed aluminum, gold tone, purple and black with silver, plus the glow-in-the-dark with black stripes pair. (There was supposed to be a black with glowing stripes, but it didn't hold up its quality in production, apparently.) 

I think they have a definite Space Agency, Galactic Authority, System-spanning bureaucratic multicorps feel to them, sort of just as pure pulp is moving into the blockbuster feel of '70s and '80s sci-fi. 

So back to the boards, everyone, and I'll see you across the table soon (with my shiny new sci-fi dice!)



6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Francis! (So good to be hearing from you again, sir.)

      Delete
  2. They look great! Are the different lengths of line (and thus, amount of material removed) varied so that each face has the same weight, to make for a more accurate set of dice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently so. There were several posts and sets of technical drawings in the early updates during the Kickstarter campaign. Just glancing at them gave me a headache!

      Delete