Sunday, September 9, 2012

"Super J" lands at my house

I stopped by the P.O. box Friday, and I was greeted by a tiny, wonderful visitor. Brain Cottrell produced these "Super J" minis in honor of his son, Jason. You can read my earlier post about it here, and Brian, whom many of us know as WeirdWWII, tells the story here on the Lead Adventure Forum. The proceeds from sales of the mini are going directly to the Friedreich's Ataxia Research Alliance.


Brian said the first batch sold out in a matter of hours, but he is expecting another shipment shortly.

Like many, I was glad to help out and delighted to receive such a mini. Every time it graces my table I'll think of Jason, and of other children who could use some help as they soldier on against the heavy burdens life has placed on them. The warmth it engenders in me will, I'm sure, push me to make other donations later. Thank you, Brian, both for letting us share in helping out your son, and for helping me be a better person by sharing of what I have, now and in the future.



One thing I wasn't prepared for, though, is the size of this figure. I know Brian said he was 18mm high, but I certainly didn't look on a ruler. He'll scale right in with my 25-28mm minis, but seeing him IRL is a shock. The excellent paint job by Simon of Stone Cold Lead must have been done with a scanning electron microscope. Super J is so (to use a good Southern word) tee-ninsy!

(That's a long i in the second part of the word, by the way, for those of you unfamiliar with Southern dialect. Watch "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo." They play up, exaggerate and exploit that family plenty, but those ARE authentic (mid)south Georgia accents. Even I need the subtitles sometimes.)

Here's my copy of the mini:

"Super J" mini from Brian Cottrell, sold as a fundraiser for the Friedreich's
 Ataxia Research Alliance. (Sorry it's a little blurry. Still learning
 to use this camera phone. And yes, my desk is always that dirty.) 

And here is he up against a U.S. penny.

That penny is sitting on his base with him and is tilted
 back slightly to rest against the keyboard base.

I doff my invisible cap to all those involved, and I hope Brian and his family raise a great deal of money for the charity through their efforts. I am eager to get Super J and his ever-present pal Snakey fighting the menaces in my own particular Neighborhood of Make-Believe.

Coming up soon: More Empire of the Dead ideas. I actually wrote a few paragraphs of background for a new warband I plan to field using the Lycaon rules. My wife has decided to go for Vampires (as if there was any doubt. My wife is an evil mastermind.)


7 comments:

  1. Just saw pn LAF where Brian said he's got a new batch in that will go up for sale on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And it is people like you that give a family with such a burden a lot of hope and happiness.

    Thanks for the support,
    the Cottrells

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am honored to be able to help, in whatever way I can. I, too, am a caregiver, so I understand a small part of what your family goes through. Many blessings to you and yours.

      Delete
  3. Good stuff! Adding you to my blog following...have to support a fellow southerner! I'm from Alabama, lived in Georgia and now in Florida! Where are you at? ya'll have a nice day ya hear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, styx. I'm originally from Georgia but now live just across the Chattahoochee in Alabama. How's yamama'nem?

      Delete
    2. I was born in Annison, Al....my parents live out towards Lake Wedowee...

      Delete
    3. I've been through Anniston, although it was never my ultimate destination.

      Delete